Following our meeting earlier this week, we wanted to provide two important updates and invite you to join us in prayer.
Lead Teaching Pastor Search Update
Grateful for the thorough work by the search team, we narrowed the field to two candidates for Lead Teaching Pastor and continue the interview process. We are praying and invite you to join us that God would give us discernment and unity to see who He would have to lead this church. And that the Lord would also make it clear to the candidate and his family. Both of the current two candidates face a major move in coming to Chicago.
We are so grateful to the Lord for the faithfulness of His people through giving. For the first two months of 2021, giving has exceeded the plan by 5%, the greatest margin for the first two months in our church’s history. Praise God! And thank you to all of you who are so faithful in prayer and in giving.
A topic that occasionally comes up in conversations is what are we doing to reduce our current debt of $35.5M*. Some of you have even shared suggestions with us or with our finance committee members, and we appreciate these ideas and the heart behind them to see us eventually become free from this obligation. We want you to know we are pursuing multiple paths at the same time and are open to what the Lord would have us do to steward what has been entrusted to us.
Some ideas we have been working through are:
- Selling a portion of church properties that are not fully used (Please note: we have no plans to sell or consolidate any of our current campuses)
- Leasing out portions of our facilities that are currently under-utilized to help cover some of our operating costs
- Refinancing our existing loans to shrink our debt service obligations
- Determining an appropriate allocation of future giving to pay down debt more quickly
We are a church family, so if you have a suggestion for how to reduce our debt, please contact us at forms.harvestbiblechapel.org/debt-reduction-ideas/ and we will do our best to respond and make sure your ideas are heard. We appreciate your continued prayer for this effort. Thank you.
*We have been able to pay down our debt by $6.7million over the past two years.
Calling the Church to Prayer
Believing firmly in the power of prayer. “Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.” Ephesians 6:18
More than a slogan or than a pillar of Harvest Bible Chapel, this is the cry of our hearts. During the week of March 28–April 3, the Elders are calling our church to pray. Together, we want to thank the Lord for His grace, mercy, and provision, especially over the past two years. And we want to ask Him to:
1. Prepare our hearts to remember the sacrifice of Jesus for us on Good Friday and rejoicing in the resurrection on Easter Sunday.
2. Give us wisdom, discernment, clarity, unity, and His glory to be made known through what we trust will be the final steps in the search for a new Lead Teaching Pastor.
3. Provide financially for His church here in Chicagoland. We need the Lord to show up in a way that is unmistakably only Him. We’re asking Him to provide the funds needed to continue to be a church marked by unapologetic preaching, unashamed adoration, unceasing prayer, unafraid witness, and unconditional love.
Watch your campus communication for specific dates and times for prayer on your campus.
Serving the Lord, serving His church,
The Elders of Harvest Bible Chapel